Style-Delights: Lookbook: DIY Retro Style Pleated Skirt

August 1, 2013

Lookbook: DIY Retro Style Pleated Skirt

I always wanted to learn how to sew, but never had a chance to learn. Thanks to Youtube and sewing blogs, I got enough courage to finally buy a beginner sewing machine! After trying out some simple skirts and dresses fro my little girl, I thought to make a skirt for myself. I am obsessed with full midi skirts these days! So I got cheap fabric from Walmart, followed youtube instructions on how to sew pleats and did it! It came out pretty neat if I say so myself:-)
In retrospect, I might have bought better fabric! LOL! But I was sure I am gonna ruin the skirt in first attempt, so $1.50 a yard fabric seemed a safe bet at the time:-)
This fabric has seersucker style stripes, but the fabric is not seersucker, it is very stiff. It falls nicely with the pleats though. My next project - a circle skirt with invisible zipper! Wish me luck!:-)


Did you try out any DIY hobby lately? I'd love to hear about your sewing adventures too! For daily dose of style delights, connect with me on 
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

20 comments :

  1. Congrats on your success - the skirt looks great! I have been wanting to learn how to sew as well but just don't have the time. I re-learned how to knit via youtube and I am still finishing my cable scarf going on 2+ years.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. U look really great.. so stylish and so retro... good job on the skirt and sewing!! :)
    http://pineapple-ish.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice skirt, bag <3 <3
    http://tuttiigiornidelconsiglidiunadonna.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving midi skirt right now too! You did a great job!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the skirt looks neat on you,my eyes are all over those studded delish loafers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this style, retro and chic at the same time. Your skirt is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skirt came out SO cute! Love the retro vibe!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made this skirt?? It´s soooo faboulous!! Very pretty and looks totaly good on you :)
    Very nice outfit in general <3
    xxo from Munich

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fabulous and I love that skirt. I can't believe you made it! I wish I had that talent. It is fabulous xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Jyoti!! You are not just a styling champion but a DIY one too! Love this whole look bag shoes and headband included:-)
    Love
    K
    klassystylefiles.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. It came out fabulous dear! I also wish to learn to sew and once my house is fully rennovated and i have my work room, I also plan to sew. I am going to make shift dresses, but would love to learn to do skirts as well! You look great and again, you did so good with this! xx Pip

    http://easyoutfitsbypip.blogspot.com/2013/07/mini-skirts-fall-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't look like it was your first attempt at sewing! The pleats have come out very neat! Congratulations! keep going..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jyoti! Beautiful retro look, this kind of style suits you! The skirt is so lovely and I love your loafers! Happy Friday dear, kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps you did an amazing job with the skit, wish I was able too!

      Delete
  14. you did a great job on that skirt! i love this whole look..

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're definitely good for a first timer. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't believe you did for the first time.. Love it.
    Love
    Shilpi
    www.pinkjasminestyling.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't believe you did for the first time.. Love it.
    Love
    Shilpi
    www.pinkjasminestyling.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Like what you see? Please share with your friends! That's why God created Facebook and Twitter!