Style-Delights: How To Spring-Clean Your Closet!

May 23, 2011

How To Spring-Clean Your Closet!

Image via California Closets
If you open your closet to have the clothes fall on your head - its time to clean it! And I don't mean vacuuming the closet carpet. Its time to sort out what you have, what you need, what you want and what are you just hoarding!It can be overwhelming sometimes when we have more clothes than the closet space. Here are some tips to make your closet walk-in-able again! Even if you have the closet space, you can clean the closet to get rid of the clothes you no longer wear but do not know what to do with them.

1.Swap with your friends
If you have friends who wear same size clothes or shoes, you can invite them over for a wardrobe swap party with their "its-cute-but-I-am-so-bored-with-it" items! Wine is optional! But get rid of your items first before you can pick up more. Make enough room in your closet for new items. Accessories can be shared/swapped with any-sized friends:-)
Don't you remember, one woman's junk is another woman's treasure!

  2. Donate it
There are people who will be glad to have your "I-can't-believe-I-bought-it" coat. Donate to your local charity, salvation army, thrift store or put them in the drop boxes for homeless. If it is an expensive piece, you can even get tax deduction benefit. Get the recipt/paperwork when you donate.

3. Sell it
You can make some quick buck by selling your wear-worthy clothes. Recycled Fashions, Out of the Closet and many other stores like these buy and trade clothes and accessories. You can even go to your local consignment shops to sell the clothes you don't want or need.

4. Alter it
If you are nimble with the needle and scissors, you can even alter a piece of clothing to make it new and interesting. I have seen from very basic alteration (from jeans to cut-off shorts) to Project Runway -worthy transformations (Skirt from a frumpy dress or one shouldered T shirt!) 

5. Dump it
If you have a piece of clothing you have in your closet that does not fit in above mentioned categories, just say final goodbye at the dumpster! Make sure to put them in recycle bin!

6. Store it
Pack it for next season (if you have the space!) But remember - As Oprah has told us on numerous occasions - If you have not worn something for 6 months, chances are pretty high that you will never wear it again! Unless it is Chanel:-) 

16 comments :

  1. wow...good tips for my closet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet IFB comment! Following you now! Great post, stop by some time! xoxo, VLM.

    http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Perfect for spring cleaning. I am completely inspired by the friend exchange one. I'm gonna try to set up a girls night where we all bring clothes we never wear anymore, that would just be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks VLM and Ruby!
    Ruby, I did this swap thing last year with my friends and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! I need to clean my closet now ;). This just gave me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the alter option the best. I try to see if I can be creative with a piece before I get rid of it, which never happens now that I only buy things I love.

    -Megan Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lynn and Megan! Good luck with your spring cleaning of the closet!
    Megan, if you do some altering of any item, would love to see it on your blog! I love how people transform things just by imagining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great tips to know. Thanks for sharing.

    Jackie
    www.eatloveandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just posted something on building a better wardrobe the other day, these are great tips to get started! Then it's all about wardrobe harmony, my post: http://stylesizzle.com/how-to-wear-fashion-style-tips/build-better-wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your blog is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing some tips on how to clean out closet. Glad I found these site. I will follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for

    the info.
    selling a house privately

    ReplyDelete
  12. gr8 tips...will try them...i have almost 3 bags of clothes that r small for me..greedy me!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My partner and I stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.

    Micaella
    Best Reviews for Seattle SEO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Kids Slides sale Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Like what you see? Please share with your friends! That's why God created Facebook and Twitter!